Supporting Our Troops

The College of Health Professions was awarded a grant of $60,000 from the Jewish Foundation for Education of Women to provide scholarships to female veterans or female dependents of veterans. The scholarships are available for the next two years to qualifying students in Nursing, Family Nurse Practitioner, and Physician Assistant programs.

The first scholarship awardee was U.S. Army veteran Casmin Bennett, a student in the Combined Degree Program, a 12-month accelerated nursing baccalaureate program for career changers. “I did not always want to be a nurse,” says Bennett, “but on deployment to Iraq, I had an epiphany. I can still vividly remember telling my sergeant that when it was over, I would return home and do something meaningful with my life.”

“The Lienhard School of Nursing has a history of commitment to helping veterans,” says Gerrie Colombraro, PhD, RN, associate dean of Lienhard. “In 2009, Lienhard was one of the few nursing schools to participate in the Veterans Affairs Nursing Academy, a partnership to increase nursing faculty and students and enhance the professional development of VA nurses.” Lienhard was also one of only 20 nursing schools nationwide to be invited to an event with First Lady Michelle Obama and Jill Biden,EdD, as part of the Joining Forces initiative to educate nursing students on post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and traumatic brain injury.

In addition to the new scholarship, Pace offers other scholarships for veterans and was selected by G.I. Jobs magazine as a Military Friendly School for 2013, an honor awarded to only 15% of all colleges, universities, and trade schools nationwide.

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email